A Complete Guide to Groom Your Dog: Having a pet may sound all fun but at the same time, it also means owning responsibility. No matter what pet you own, it’s your responsibility to take proper care of it. Starting from feeding to grooming you have to do it all for your pet. Speaking of pets, most people either go for dogs or for cats. But in this article, we are particularly concerned about dogs and the best way to groom a dog.
Grooming your dog can be a hectic task where you have to take your dog to the clinic and spend loads of money in order to get it properly groomed. In case if you think that you can escape that by not taking your dog for grooming then, you are definitely not a good owner. That’s because grooming for a dog or for any other pet for that matter is very important in order to keep them clean and fit. So if, you are thinking of ignoring your dog’s grooming sessions then, you are doing it wrong.
Taking your dog for grooming may take a lot of time and therefore, it may be problematic for owners who are working and have to take out time from their busy schedule. Wouldn’t it be great if, you could groom your dog on your own? This could save both your money and time and your dog would still be groomed. Doesn’t that sound great? Well, in order to do that, all you need to do is follow the simple tips that are given below and then, you can groom you at home and that too all by yourself.
A Complete Guide to Groom Your Dog
Do It Yourself Dog Grooming Tips
Grooming your dog at home can be beneficial for both the dog and its owner. The owner doesn’t have to spend hours in the clinic spending for the grooming session and also the dog need not adjust itself in the hands of a stranger. All you have to do is take out sometime on the weekends and get started with the task of grooming your dog by following these simple tips. The dog grooming activities that are listed below can easily be done at home so, there’s no issue about it.
- Give Your Dog A Great Bath: The first step towards grooming your dog is giving it a good warm water bath. Before you can start off with anything else, it is very important that you give your dog a bath so that your dog is properly cleaned and thus, you can brush through his fur quickly. A good bath helps your dog’s fur to soften down and thus, it becomes easy for you to detangle it. This way you won’t be hurting your dog while you are combing through its Give more attention to the neck area because that is where the dog collar stays and therefore, the concerned area should be properly cleaned. Also, make sure that you use dog-friendly shampoos and conditioners for your dog in order to prevent any kind of problems. Bathing your dog depends on what breed of dog you won. It is important that you don’t forget to plug-in cotton balls in the ears of your dog while giving it a bath. Use warm water to bath your dog. This will give them a relaxing effect and also make it enjoyable for them.
- Brush Your Dog Nicely: The next step is to brush your dog nicely in order to keep them clean and tidy. Brushing through the fur of your dog ensures that it removes dandruff from the hair and also provides a good body massage that helps increase the blood circulation of your dog. The type of brush that you are required to use depends on the length of the fur that your dog has. You should detangle brush when you have to untangle the hair of your dog. Brush the areas that are more exposed to dirt like for example the feet and the legs because that is where all the dirt collects. Also, regular brushing of your dog keeps the shedding part in control.
- Don’t Forget To Trim The Nails: Another important thing that you can’t afford to forget while you groom your dog is to trim its nails. Trimming the nails of your dog short helps them to run and walk comfortably. When the nails of your dog grow too long, it gets painful for them to deal with it and therefore, it’s your duty to trim them to the required length. Usually, when the nails grow too long they curl over and thus, it becomes painful for your dog to even walk. Therefore, it is important that you keep your dog’s nail short just like humans. In order to trim the nails of your dog, use the nail cutters that are particularly meant for that purpose. If you use anything else like a blade or something, it may hurt or get your dog injured. Also, it may cause bleeding and therefore, it is important that you use the right equipment for the task. Most of the dogs don’t like to get their nails trimmed and therefore, you can do this at the end of your grooming session. Make sure that you have a helper with you who can hold your dog firmly while you trim its nails otherwise, there might be an accident.
- Brush the Teeth Right: Brushing your dog’s teeth is also an important part of grooming your dog. You should be using the designated toothbrushes in order to clean your dog’s teeth. If your dog is one of those dogs that don’t like to get its teeth brushed with a toothbrush then, you can use your finger as well. In order to do so, first, put some toothpaste on your finger and then, use it to brush your dog’s teeth. No matter what you use, whether your finger or a toothbrush, you should clean your dog’s teeth regularly or every day. This will keep their teeth healthy and free of any kind of oral diseases.
- Eye and Ears Cleaning: Cleaning the ears and eyes of your dog is also very important so, you simply cannot ignore these parts. While cleaning the ear make sure that you clean only the outer part and do not use any kind of sharp material for the cleaning. You can clean your dog’s ears once or twice a month and in case if your dog has any kind of ear problems then you can clean his ears more often. When it comes to cleaning the eyes of your dog, use only cotton balls. Wipe only the out part of his eyes and do not put extra pressure while doing that because that may lead to eye irritation.
- Trim Your Dogs Hair: The next important thing is to trim the hair of your dog. There are some breeds of dog that has long hair which needs to be trimmed from time to time. That’s because when their hair gets too long, it may prevent them from doing certain activities. Like for instance when the hair of the face grows too long they may have problems in seeing and therefore, you should trim them to the required size. The ideal grooming of your dog’s hair is 6-8 weeks but depending on the breed of dog you own, the duration may vary. If the growth rate of your dog’s hair is fast then you may have to trim it frequently and if that is not the case then your dog doesn’t need frequent hair-cuts. Also, you should make sure that when you are cutting the hair of your dog, you have someone holding your dog or else, it may be a problem for you to do your work.
So these are the things that you are required to do when grooming your dog. All you need to do is follow these 6 steps and your dog will look all good. By following these 6 steps you can save both your money and time on your dog’s clinic.
Other Important Things That You Need To Keep In Mind
After going through all the 6 steps of grooming your dog, it’s time that now we look into the other important stuff that is related to your dog’s grooming. In order to groom your dog, you need the help of proper tools and products which you need to be very particular about in order to maintain the well-being of your dog. So here are a few tips for you to follow when grooming your dog at home:
- Get The Quietest Clipper: The one thing that you need to keep in mind that dogs are always very susceptible when it comes to noises and in case if the clipper that you are using produces a loud noise, it may freak your dog out. Therefore, it is advisable that you get the quietest clipper in the market in order to carry on with your task without causing trouble to your dog. This will make things easier for both the parties.
- Don’t Overdo It: When grooming your dog doesn’t overdo it because then, you may end up hurting your dog. If you hurt your dog in the process then, your dog may just not allow you to groom him again and that may turn out to be a problem for you. Therefore, it is advisable that you always use clippers and all things required in order to prevent hurting your dog.
- Do It With Love: When grooming your love, it is very important that even your dog enjoys it or he may just shut you out or run away himself. In order to make sure that your dog is enjoying and comfortable during the grooming session, you should bond with him during the process. This will keep him calm and comfortable and thus, he will allow you to do anything you want in order to get him well-groomed. It is very important that you share a great chemistry with your dog while grooming him from top to bottom. This is to ensure that you can get done with your work easily without causing any trouble to your dog.
- Choose The Right Blade For Your Dog: There are different types of blades available that are used for different styles. The one thing that you need to keep in mind is that you should always choose the right blade for your dog clipper. In case if you have no knowledge about the blade that you are supposed to use, you can take help from an expert in that matter. If you do not use the right blade then, you won’t be able to get the desired look that you want on your dog. So make sure that you get the right one. You can get the blades from any store near you.
- Never Use Hot Clippers: Clippers usually get hot when used for long which may hurt or even burn your dog. Therefore, you need to be very careful when using a clipper on your dog. Make sure that you switch off the clipper from time to time in order to cool it down or else you can also use another clipper. This way you will prevent yourself from hurting your dog unknowingly.
- Start Grooming Your Dog from An Early Age: You should start grooming your dog from the time when they are just a puppy. This will get your dog in the habit of getting groomed which will obviously be a good thing for you.
From the above discussion, it is clear that grooming from time to time is very important. No matter what tantrums your dog may throw, always make sure that you get his grooming done. By following the tips that are mentioned above you can get his grooming done even at home. This will help you save your time and money as well.
A Complete Guide to Groom Your Dog
- A Complete Guide to Groom Your Dog
A Complete Guide to Groom Your Dog